Today my baby sister is 30 years old. That’s not weird at all, *cough* *cough*.
In honor of this momentous occasion, I present to you, thirty things about Emily, as told by her lovely sister, Livlife.
1. She used to be blond as a child, the only one among three dark haired siblings. I still tease her for being a blond.
2. She shared a bedroom with me until I was 14 and she was 10. It caused never ending battles and a closeness that I’m still grateful for.
3. She once got mad at me and pulled the tail off my Mickey Mouse stuffed animal in retaliation. I’m still upset about it.
4. Her baby blanket was called GiGi, and she carried it until it LITERALLY fell apart. All that remains today is a tiny scrap.
5. She used to collect…plates? Can that be right? I have a vague recollection of this.
6. She had the worst temper of anyone I’ve ever known as a child. Her tantrums were legendary.
7. She is my dad’s favorite. Perhaps because she is most like him of any of us kids.
8. Her family nickname is Bug. I don’t know why.
9. Sissy or Shorty are the nicknames I gave her and I still use them to this day.
10. She always wanted to be naked when she was little. I have many memories of my mom chasing a naked Emmy around the house because she slipped away after her bath.
11. As the youngest in her family, she got teased mercilessly by her older siblings. It made her tough.
12. She used to get tricked into picking up dog poop with her hands, so that her siblings didn’t have to do that particular chore.
13. She was such a brat (to me, she was probably a nice child, but she was my little sister) as a kid that the only time I like her was when she was sleeping. I always kissed her goodnight, because it was my favorite time of the day.
14. She was the closest to Nick when we were growing up. But they are the farthest apart in age.
15. She used to love the song “Losing My Religion” by REM, to the point that when anyone in our family hears that song, they immediately think of her.
16. She loves the song “Mama, I’m Coming Home” by Ozzy Osbourne and played it so often in the bars that it is now my ringtone for her.
17. Her first car was a blue Dodge (?) Something…she’ll remember…and it was the weirdest car. It had features that no other car has possibly ever had.
18. Her second car was a black Ford Focus that was a stick shift. She was the first of us to choose to drive a stick.
19. When she went to prom, she asked me to do her hair, instead of going to a salon.
20. We have an unspoken agreement that when we look at each other and say “right?” the other agrees, just to be on her sister’s side. It’s nice.
(That is still my favorite picture of her, only slightly beating out the one coming next)
21. She works harder than any person I have ever known in my entire life. Always has, since she started working at the ripe old age of 14.
22. She doesn’t enjoy being pregnant.
23. I always thought she’d be a veterinarian when she grew up. She was obsessed with animals as a child, and most of the pets we had were because of her, certainly they were cared for by her.
24. She has always disliked tomatoes, since she was a little kid. She can tolerate them now, but only in certain things.
25. Before she started dating, we used to have sister dates where we’d go out to dinner and a movie.
26. She can talk more than anyone I know, which is saying something if you know A) Me and B) Kelly
27. She is funnier than she realizes and she can make me laugh without trying.
28. She always has a plan and a schedule for everything she does. And this enables her to never be late.
29. She and I once took a trip together to Mexico. On that trip I learned that she is afraid of heights. And she’ll still do what I tell her to do because I’m her big sister.
30. She is my favorite sister in the whole wide world.
I love you, Sissy, and Happy 30th Birthday to you. I’m almost as excited for YOUR 30th party as I was for my own. (Photo above)
I hope you have the best day ever and thank you for 30 years of wonderful sisterhood. It hasn’t always been pretty, but it’s always been US.
Happy, Happy, Happy Birthday!